Nayland Meadow
Welcome
About Us
Latest News
Membership
Contact
Meetings
Events
Open Gardens
Achievements
Meadow Project
Publications & Gifts
Planning Applications
Planning Background
History of the Parish
River Stour
Archive Projetct
Postcard Collection
Then & Now Gallery
Photo Gallery
Links
 
Nayland with Wissington Conservation Society
 
Postcard Collection

In March 2010 the David May collection of Postcards and Cigarette cards was auctioned by Reeman Dansie in Colchester.   We were delighted to be the successful bidders on 3 out of 4 Lots of Nayland and Wiston subjects.  

Over the next 2 months the postcards were sorted and put into albums with captions identifying each one and, where possible, the date it was posted.   This was a very exciting project and the three albums will now be available for viewing at all our future Meetings.

The first series of 8 postcards is now available as greetings cards price £3.50 (full details on Publications & Gifts) and copies of other cards in the collection may be ordered from the Hon. Secretary in the New Year.

 

Jubilee Celebration 1935

Jubilee Celebrations, Webb's Meadow, Nayland 6th May 1935 (Archer Photo)
Dick Thorpe centre, Miss Adrienne Fenn to his left.

Nayland Lock looking north from the towpath near Anchor Bridge c.1900. The lock was replaced by a horseshoe weir in 1947 (Gowing photo).

Nayland Lock
Just a Card for Nayland

Just a card from Nayland c.1920 (Archer photo).
The Village Square, the House at the Corner at Wiston, the Anchor Bridge, Court Street and Nayland Lock.

The Pioneer Series. Printed in England. Card postmarked 19 March 1917.

Pioneer Series
Novelty Card

Novelty card BB London Series no 2452. Printed in Germany c.1919.

View from Gravel Hill, Nayland c.1920 Gowing photo).
The Mill is is the foreground and behind it the church tower before it was reduced and replaced with a spire in the early 1960s. The top three storeys and gantry of the Mill were dismantled in 1922.

View from Gravel Hill
East Anglian Sanatorium

The East Anglian Sanatorium 1906.
This pioneering tuberculosos hospital was founded by Dr Jane Walker in 1901. It was later taken over by the British Legion and then by the local authority in1959, when it was renamed the Jane Walker Hospital. It closed in 1991.

Vickers medium tank overturned on Harpers Hill, 14th September 1920 (Archer photo).
Details on reverse of card: 150 miles range. 12 tons. 15 mph. 8 forward gears.

Vickers Tank